For fire ants in Australia, Jim’s pest control technicians are your local ant experts. Our techs servicing Australia are experienced, fully trained, and insured. You can trust the Jim’s name to help you with any pest problem.
- Spread disease because they can scavenge for food in garbage areas, dog excrement and other unsanitary areas. These disease carrying organisms can then be tracked into our homes and onto our food.
- Bite and Sting: There are some species of Ants such as Fire Ants that can both bite and sting and cause much discomfort.
- Have unsightly ant trails and mounds. In some instances ants have caused cracks in paths due to their excavations.
Call now and we’ll work with you to control your Ant Problem – Guaranteed!
If you need to get in touch with us, simply call 13 15 46 and our friendly staff, will take your details.
Fire Ants are a serious threat to the Australia environment. Currently they have been found in Queensland, Northern Territory and in 2019 several nests were found in Freemantle.
The treat is so serious that these nests were dealt with very quickly. Pest Controllers are warned to be on the lookout of these ants and report any possible sightings.
At this stage Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia are the only states and territories with confirmed cases.
You should however still be vigilant and if you have any concerns then contact your local pest controller or Government Department for positive identification.
Fire ants – how are they treated?
Currently fire ant treatment is mainly conducted by state governments. As these ants are a serious treat to the Australian economy and way of life, fire ant treatments are heavily regulated.
Any confirmed cases must be reported to the relative Government Department. Strict records must be kept of where the were found and who and how they were treated.
For more information on treatments please consult with local government authorities.
Fire ant treatment and control – bait is the best method
Fire ant bait is made up of a corn grit mixture that has been infused with a growth regulator. This growth regulator is undetectable to ants.
The corn is often mixed with soybean oil to make it more attractive to them. When the ants find the bait, they happily pick it up and carry it back to the nest.
There it is consumed and spread throughout the nests. As these pests are cannibals, as an infected ant dies, it is quickly consumed by other ants. This helps the spread of the growth regulator.
Growth regulators and how they work
The best way of controlling fire ants according to most Government Departments is to deploy growth regulators. They work by stopping the growth and development of ants throughout their life cycle.
It is very similar to the most effective way of controlling termites. In termites the growth regulators stop the moulting process. As the termites are unable to moult, they simply suffocate in their own skins.
The effect of growth regulators on fire ants is the same. If they can’t grow and develop normally then they will not be able to reproduce and hence, eventually the colony will die.
Fire ant pest control
At present in Australia, fire ant pest control is mainly conducted by the relevant state departments. Only in late 2019 did these departments enlist the help of trained pest controllers.
If you discover what you believe to be fire ants, then the first port of call should be your local government department.
If you are unsure if they are fire ants, then you can contact your local pest control technician like Jim’s to get a positive ID.
When making an enquiry with Jim’s, simply tell the operator you suspect it might be fire ants and they will put you in touch with a suitable qualified technician.
If you want a local pest control expert to help you with your fire ant problems, termite or other pest control requirements, please call Jim’s on 131 546, or use the contact form here to get in touch.
Due to Government regulations, of course, your first contact should always be the relative Australian State Government departments and websites.
Set up a guaranteed program to control ants in a building and it’s surrounding environment and advise how you can help reduce future problems.
- Inspect: We will carry out a survey and report our findings.
- Bait: We will apply special bait which is licensed and formulated for Ant control. This is very safe for you and your children and pets. The bait is applied to out of reach places for your added peace of mind.
- Dust: We may apply dust to your roof void, subfloor and in your wall cavities.
- Surface Spray: We may apply a special surface spray which is licensed and formulated for Ant control. This is applied to the perimeter of your home or building.
- Stock: Ensure regular stock rotation and also inspect incoming food stock.
- Storage: Ensure food is stored above the ground and clear of walls.
- Garbage: Ensure your garbage is kept secure and locked.